noun[mass noun] British
- A period of absence from work granted to someone as the result of particular personal circumstances, especially the death of a close relative.More example sentences
- Similarly, a member who takes carers' leave will still have compassionate leave available if a close relative becomes seriously ill or dies.
- Suppose you had a provision in an award that said a worker is entitled to compassionate leave in circumstances of family necessity.
- The Prison Service informs me that while these matters are subject to the discretion of the prison governor, it is typical for compassionate leave on licence to be granted for category D prisoners.
More definitions of compassionate leaveDefinition of compassionate leave in:
- The US English dictionary