- 1 Philosophy & Psychology Of or involving conation.More example sentences
- Attitudes are predispositions to act in a particular situation and involve three elements: cognitive, affective, and conative.
- It has to have some effect: political speech is conative or it is nothing.
- It enters into every form of thinking and into many of our conative and emotional attitudes as well.
- 2 Grammar Denoting a word or structure that expresses attempted action as opposed to action itself, for example at in he was kicking at the bicycle.More example sentences
- Although they do not explicitly speak of an ingressive imperfect, they do mention the conative imperfect.
- Additionally, 'break' verbs may appear in the simple intransitive construction while 'cut' verbs may appear in the conative construction.
- In Greek, for example, the imperfective sometimes adds the notion of "try to do something" (the so-called conative imperfect).
late 19th century: from Latin conat- 'endeavoured' (from the verb conari) + -ive.