Excessively proud of oneself; vain: Fred’s so conceited he’d never believe anyone would refuse him
More example sentences
- Not to be vain or conceited, but it was the truth and anyone sensible would agree.
- He is not alone in saying that some American lawyers and accountants are conceited and arrogant about what they think is a superior system.
- Then, typically, she worries that this sounds arrogant or conceited.
vain, narcissistic, pleased with oneself, self-loving, in love with oneself, self-admiring, self-regarding, self-centred, egotistic, egotistical, egoistic, egocentric, egomaniac;
proud, arrogant, boastful, cocky, cocksure, full of oneself, above oneself, self-important, immodest, swaggering, strutting;
self-satisfied, self-congratulatory, smug, complacent, supercilious, haughty, snobbish
informal big-headed, swollen-headed, too big for one's boots, puffed up, stuck-up, snooty, high and mighty, uppity, uppish, snotty, snot-nosed
British informal toffee-nosed
North American informal chesty
(be conceited) have an excessively high opinion of oneself, think too highly of oneself, think a lot of oneself, boast, brag, blow one's own trumpet
informal think one is the cat's whiskers/pyjamas, think one is God's gift (to women)
- Example sentences
- As a potential politician, Hanson was brilliant at capturing attention, the perfect foil for sneering " sophisticates " who so amusedly knew what xenophobia meant, but so conceitedly didn't recognise their own bigotry.
- Erik answered rather conceitedly but in a joking matter.
- ‘Well,’ he said conceitedly, ‘I am a pretty good actor as well.’
- Example sentences
- Other more deep-seated delusions such as craving, hatred and conceitedness can only be overcome by making ‘that which we have seen a living experience and molding our life accordingly.’
- Traits with the opposite implications are assessed as the most undesirable (e.g., conceitedness, selfishness, insecurity, aggressiveness, shyness).
- ‘His conceitedness actually does have some foundation,’ Vasquez noted.
Words that rhyme with conceiteduncompleted, undefeated, unheated, untreated
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: con|ceit¦ed
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.