Definition of conceited in English:
Excessively proud of oneself; vain: Fred’s so conceited he’d never believe anyone would refuse him
More example sentences
- Not to be vain or conceited, but it was the truth and anyone sensible would agree.
- He is not alone in saying that some American lawyers and accountants are conceited and arrogant about what they think is a superior system.
- Then, typically, she worries that this sounds arrogant or conceited.
vain, narcissistic, pleased with oneself, self-loving, in love with oneself, self-admiring, self-regarding, self-centred, egotistic, egotistical, egoistic, egocentric, egomaniac;
proud, arrogant, boastful, cocky, cocksure, full of oneself, above oneself, self-important, immodest, swaggering, strutting;
informal big-headed, swollen-headed, too big for one's boots, puffed up, stuck-up, snooty, high and mighty, uppity, uppish, snotty, snot-nosed
British informal toffee-nosed
North American informal chesty
(be conceited)have an excessively high opinion of oneself, think too highly of oneself, think a lot of oneself, boast, brag, blow one's own trumpet
informal think one is the cat's whiskers/pyjamas, think one is God's gift (to women)
- Example sentences
- As a potential politician, Hanson was brilliant at capturing attention, the perfect foil for sneering " sophisticates " who so amusedly knew what xenophobia meant, but so conceitedly didn't recognise their own bigotry.
- Erik answered rather conceitedly but in a joking matter.
- ‘Well,’ he said conceitedly, ‘I am a pretty good actor as well.’
- Example sentences
- Other more deep-seated delusions such as craving, hatred and conceitedness can only be overcome by making ‘that which we have seen a living experience and molding our life accordingly.’
- Traits with the opposite implications are assessed as the most undesirable (e.g., conceitedness, selfishness, insecurity, aggressiveness, shyness).
- ‘His conceitedness actually does have some foundation,’ Vasquez noted.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan