Definition of concert performance in English:
1A performance of a piece of music written for an opera, ballet, piece of theatre, religious service, etc., at a concert without the accompanying dramatic action or liturgy.
- The issue recently arose again, when the New York Philharmonic gave a concert performance of Stephen Sondheim's Sweeney Todd in Avery Fisher Hall with a cast of singers more or less equally drawn from the worlds of opera and Broadway.
- It certainly did on the afternoon of Sunday, October 5, when the Kirov Orchestra presented Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet, a rare concert performance of the complete ballet.
- A petite figure, she also performed in trousers which is a profound help to the audience in a concert performance of an opera with a fair degree of cross dressing!
2A performance of a piece of music at a live concert.
- I bought the CD and, so far, it hasn't lived up to the quality of their concert performance.
- And in their debut concert performance, youngsters of the Little Acorns raised £120.
- In a concert performance, the current vogue for fragments of staging is no more than a distraction.
Definition of concert performance in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan