Definition of concessive in English:
1Characterized by or tending to concession: we must look for a more concessive approach
More example sentences
- Yet they played the best fare on view, but found the Old Leighlin defence in no concessive mood; blocking several shots which could have, in cricket terms, called for a declaration long before the interval.
- The government's concessive draft for partial opening of the education sector is encountering mounting resistance not only from academic circles but also from civic groups.
- The mood in the Garden to alien seeds is not concessive but combative.
2 Grammar (Of a preposition or conjunction) introducing a phrase or clause denoting a circumstance which might be expected to preclude the action of the main clause, but does not (e.g. in spite of, although).
- The final episode started with an explanation for the mystery, but if you thought this was designed to be a closing episode, guess again. and the same thing is also often found with prenominal concessive modifiers.
- This bleached-out concessive or emphatic as such seems to be what Charles Bernstein meant to use in writing an article entitled " Against National Poetry Month As Such’.
- Details of the concordance data are given, broken down in broad categories (concessive conjunction bien que, resultative conjunction si bien que, adverb + completive, etc.).
2.1(Of a phrase or clause) introduced by a concessive preposition or conjunction.
- I don't think I ever read a flame mail where two concessive sentences made any coherent statement that didn't involve the misspelling of the word ‘fag’.
- Therefore, a concessive clause must be part of a complex sentence with an independent clause.
- The force of a concessive sentence is thus very different from that of a conditional sentence.
Words that rhyme with concessiveaggressive, compressive, degressive, depressive, digressive, excessive, expressive, impressive, obsessive, oppressive, possessive, progressive, recessive, regressive, repressive, retrogressive, successive, transgressive
Definition of concessive in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan