Definition of conch in English:
noun (plural conchs /kɒŋks/ or conches /ˈkɒntʃɪz/)
1 (also conch shell) A tropical marine mollusc with a robust spiral shell which may bear long projections and have a flared lip.
- Strombus and other genera, family Strombidae, class Gastropoda
- Raup analyzed different types of mollusk conchs in terms of their geometrical properties.
- Earlier this month, additional protection was given under this convention to the queen conch mollusk, a popular food item famous for its enormous pink shell.
- Seilacher has shown such a function for orthocone cephalopod conchs in the same formation.
1.1A conch shell blown like a trumpet to produce a hollow-sounding musical note, often depicted as played by Tritons.
- I withdrew my conch, a gorgeous Triton's Trumpet, and blew into it from deep in my belly as hard as I could, just as Ralph had done to summon his fellow castaways.
- Trumpets, conches, oboes and drums beat out a rhythm while a huge contingent of Kandyan dancers and drummers perform, their stunning period costumes adding a blaze of colour to the spectacle.
- I'm jolted awake the next morning by the trumpeting of a conch shell.
2 Architecture The roof of a semicircular apse, shaped like half a dome.
- This era produced hulking concrete edifices built in the form of conch shells, rocket ships, sail boats, origami figures, and circus tents.
- The main walls of the interior are mostly built of hewn stone, the apse stones are better and the conch stones are very well-hewn.
- This example of classic tetra conch design with all its miniature size, strikes the viewers with its grandeur and integrity.
3 another term for concha.
- Inner conch piercing looks very similar to lobe piercing, but it is placed on the inner conch and surrounds the lower outer helix.
- Thus the backward expanding marginal folds of the septa provide circumferential anchorage sites that firmly hold the body to the buoyant conch in addition to the few, small adductor muscles.
- Furthermore, the conch of the specimen is more compressed and the umbilicus smaller in diameter than those of the genus Properrinites Elias, 1938.
Definition of conch in:
- US English dictionary