noun[mass noun] Zoology
- A tough, insoluble protein secreted by molluscs, forming the organic matrix of the shell within which calcium carbonate is deposited.More example sentences
- Moreover, the chambers were divided by a system of numerous intracameral layers of conchiolin and protein.
- The core of those structures is made of a protein called conchiolin, a common component of many mollusk shells.
- Tropical shells tend to have higher metabolic and growth rates with higher conchiolin content.
late 19th century: from Latin concha 'shell' + the diminutive suffix -iola + -in1.
More definitions of conchiolinDefinition of conchiolin in:
- The US English dictionary