- Denoting a type of fracture in a solid (such as flint) which results in a smooth rounded surface resembling the shape of a scallop shell.More example sentences
- It occurs on conchoidal fracture surfaces developed in clay and tuffaceous sandstone on the Green Velvet claims, Inyo County, and as ‘specimens’ on the Wakefield property near Pozo, San Luis Obispo County.
- Quartz-grain microtextures have received particular attention, and many distinctive textural features, such as conchoidal fractures and stepped surfaces, have been classified.
- The conchoidal fracture exhibited by chert and obsidian allows them to be shaped into sharp points and edges.
More definitions of conchoidalDefinition of conchoidal in:
- The US English dictionary