Definition of concise in English:
- The explanation of the science at work was clear, concise and comprehensible.
- I was given clear and concise information, and, on the basis of this, my verbal consent was obtained.
- Above all this, we must maintain clear and concise information on the extent of the damage.
- Example sentences
- In part, this effect is due to the brevity and conciseness of each topic, another characteristic of this book that I found appealing and refreshing.
- I may also have misjudged which were the most important parts of the case, always a problem when people edit down court opinions for conciseness and readability.
- It's something to do with my love of conciseness.
- 2concision noun
- Example sentences
- I have argued this for months, but rarely with such concisions.
- Its charming concision allows the reader to reflect on the poet's experiences and thoughts unencumbered; without needing to have any prior knowledge of the subject.
- The precision and concision she has honed over half a century's devotion to that craft - getting maximum effect from the minimal - ensure that these terse pieces can speak volumes.
Late 16th century: from French concis or Latin concisus, past participle of concidere 'cut up, cut down', from con- 'completely' + caedere 'to cut'.
decide from Late Middle English:
Decide was ‘bring to a settlement’ in early uses. It comes from Latin decidere ‘determine’, from de-meaning ‘off’ and caedere ‘to cut’. Caedere is also found in concise (late 16th century) literally ‘cut up’; excise (late 16th century) ‘cut out’; precise (Late Middle English) ‘cut in advance or short’; scissors, and suicide (mid 17th century) ‘cut or kill yourself’.
Words that rhyme with conciseadvice, bice, Brice, choc ice, dice, entice, gneiss, ice, imprecise, lice, mice, nice, precise, price, rice, sice, slice, speiss, spice, splice, suffice, syce, thrice, top-slice, trice, twice, underprice, vice, Zeiss
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.