verb[with object] (usually as adjective concussed)
- Medical staff concluded he was concussed but there was no lasting brain damage.
- The injury to the back of his head may have stunned or concussed him but was not responsible for his death.
- When we took Jake to hospital after he collapsed we just thought he was concussed.
- Example sentences
- Soft shell helmets or head protectors currently do not have the biomechanical capability to prevent concussive trauma and hence cannot be recommended.
- Similar convulsive episodes seen immediately after concussive head injury may also be mistaken for epileptic phenomena.
- Rocket propelled grenades, mortars, and other explosive devices cause concussive shock blasts damaging to the brain.
Late 16th century (in the sense 'shake violently'): from Latin concuss- 'dashed together, violently shaken', from the verb concutere, from con- 'together' + quatere 'shake'.
Words that rhyme with concussbus, buss, cuss, fuss, Gus, huss, muss, plus, pus, Russ, sus, suss, thus, truss, us
Definition of concuss in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.