Definition of consequent in English:
1Following as a result or effect: the social problems of pupils and their consequent educational difficulties you’ve got a university place consequent on your exam results
More example sentences
- Rising house prices and rising interest rates have resulted in a squeeze on first time buyers with consequent effects on recruitment and retention in key public services.
- The film also focuses on the scars left on the river as a result of indiscriminate sand mining and the consequent effect on flora and fauna.
- As a result, effects in one domain generate consequent effects in the other domains.
2 Geology (Of a stream or valley) having a direction or character determined by the original slope of the land before erosion.
- In technical terms the Colorado River is antecedent to the Edwards Plateau and consequent to the Coastal Plain.
- Most of the streams normally follow the continental slope toward the sea across the various provinces and are of the kind called consequent streams.
- Radial consequent streams cut deep canyons into the flanks of the extinct shield volcano, and these canyons are opened out into deep, steep-walled amphitheaters.
nounBack to top
1 Logic The second part of a conditional proposition, whose truth is stated to be implied by that of the antecedent.
- The antecedents and consequents of conditionals must be complete sentences.
- If the antecedent is more true than the consequent, then the conditional is less than the maximal truth by the difference between their values.
- But every complete sentence can be used without expressing a judgement, for instance as the antecedent or consequent of a conditional.
2 Music The second or imitating voice or part in a canon.
- In more substantial structures, where the antecedent focuses primarily on tonic harmony, the consequent is as likely to move to the dominant, or some other chord, as to return to the tonic.
- He ranges impressively over both precedents and consequents.
Words that rhyme with consequentdelinquent
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan