Definition of conservative in English:
- The rapid rise of the green movement is an example of this, because it appeals to traditional conservative values.
- Lewis was an old-fashioned Christian, and those who consider the church to be too interested in modernising see him as a hero of religious orthodoxy and conservative values.
- His parents weren't party-political, but he was certainly brought up with traditionally conservative values.
- The many suits and ties and other conservative dress worn by the crowd yesterday reflected the upscale membership of much of the organisation.
- The best advice I was always given by peers was to dress in a conservative suit with modest accessories at the interview.
- Not only are the quantities of meat large, but the fact that there are people who want to eat dried rat bat, or even monkey meat comes as a surprise to those of us whose tastes are more conservative.
- The libertarian, old conservative wing of the Republican Party has never liked this war.
- Such developments would presumably be envied by genuine libertarians in socially conservative countries - even if their taxes are lower.
- However, there is a tendency for European electorates to move to the right or left in a manner that may not be co-ordinated, but does produce clusters of conservative or Socialist governments at any one time.
- The Labour, Conservative and Liberal Democrat parties are contesting every seat.
- An important factor in this was the experience of eighteen years of Conservative government.
- At the same time we had just emerged from a long period of Conservative government.
- The number of women trafficked for this purpose is unknown, although conservative estimates put the number in the millions.
- The combat capability of such a servicemen could be compared, even by conservative estimates, to that of a modern section or even platoon.
- Those sorts of considerations are why I said $440 billion was a conservative estimate, which is admittedly a bit crazy just to say, but there it is.
- The trial randomized 1,033 patients in 27 countries to early surgery or conservative treatment.
- If conservative treatment fails, surgery to excise any bone spurs and debridement of the retrocalcaneal bursa may be helpful.
- For patients who do not respond to conservative treatment, surgery should be considered.
nounBack to top
- They saw fascists as more patriotic and determined than traditional conservatives.
- So the claim that there are conservatives who believe in some sort of absolute liberty is a total straw man.
- The antagonism between conservatives and progressives in Korea has a long history.
- Around them stand officials and party workers from the Conservatives and Lib Dems.
- The Scottish National Party and Conservatives are expected to oppose the building.
- There has never been a coalition between the Conservatives and the Liberal Democrats.
- 1conservative with a small ‘c’
- Said of someone who is conservative in outlook but does not necessarily vote for or support a Conservative party: I think there are a good number of teachers who are instinctively conservative with a small cMore example sentences
- There is something conservative about much of Pixar's output, but when I say conservative, I mean a small "c" conservative.
- 1conservativeness noun
- Example sentences
- Because the desire to combine conflicting data is strong in real studies, the conservativeness of the present test is unlikely to be a major concern for some.
- And similarly, if the central bank is fully under the spell of government, the conservativeness of the central bank does not matter.
- Physicists generally maintain a healthy skepticism about whatever they hear and are much less susceptible to dogmatic conservativeness than one might think.
Late Middle English (in the sense 'aiming to preserve'): from late Latin conservativus, from conservat- 'conserved', from the verb conservare (see conserve). Current senses date from the mid 19th century.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.