Definition of constipated in English:
1Affected with constipation: regular heroin users can become constipated
More example sentences
- For instance, women often don't take iron pills in pregnancy because they get constipated and assume that this is the effect of the iron.
- This might happen after a very large meal, during pregnancy, if you are constipated, or when you wear tight-waisted clothes or bend forward.
- In a constipated infant, it may be necessary to perform colonic irrigation with limited amounts of sterile saline.
mid 16th century: from Latin constipat- 'crowded or pressed together', from the verb constipare, from con- 'together' + stipare 'press, cram'.
- Example sentences
- Cow's milk is the most constipating component of the young child's diet.
- Through a chance conversation, I learned that iron can be constipating.
- But if you don't drink enough liquid to replace what is absorbed, fiber can be constipating.
Definition of constipated in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia