- 1The action or process of formally consulting or discussing: they improved standards in consultation with consumer representatives [count noun]: consultations between all sections of the partyMore example sentences
- He said a special study was being made of Newcombe Drive in consultation with local residents.
- The Kennel Club says the docking of dogs' tails is a choice for the owner, in consultation with a vet.
- These acts may be done in consultation with the rest of the group, but not necessarily as a group.
- 1.1 [count noun] A meeting with an expert, such as a medical doctor, in order to seek advice: a consultation with a homeopathic doctorMore example sentences
- The ageing of the population increased the number of consultations due to immediate medical needs.
- Most studies of general practitioners' consultations show a strong degree of professional control.
- The consultant might travel around several clinics and carry out joint consultations with the doctor or nurse and patient.
late Middle English: from Latin consultatio(n-), from the verb consultare (see consult).