Definition of contaminate in English:
- Apparently parents emit poisonous substances which contaminate their kids in much the same way that humans pollute the environment.
- They added somebody stealing food can be jailed while those who poison people by contaminating food can get away scot free.
- Groundwater will be polluted, which would contaminate drinking water.
- contaminator noun
- Example sentences
- ‘Moisture is considered an oil contaminator, just like metal particles,’ Urbano continues.
- This cleaning system is designed to safely and easily remove these contaminators from all your input devices.
- It is not suitable for recycled aggregates because these may also contain inorganic contaminators.
Late Middle English: from Latin contaminat- 'made impure', from the verb contaminare, from contamen 'contact, pollution', from con- 'together with' + the base of tangere 'to touch'.
contact from early 17th century:
Contact and contagion (Late Middle English) both go back to Latin contingere ‘touched’ formed from con- ‘with’ and tangere ‘touch’. Contaminate (Late Middle English) is related.
Words that rhyme with contaminatelaminate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.