1Any of the world’s main continuous expanses of land (Europe, Asia, Africa, North and South America, Australia, Antarctica).
- This steep sided sea flows like a meeting place between the two continents of Africa and Asia.
- The Middle East and tropical Africa were the last continents that Europeans colonized.
- In fact, we know that tornadoes have occurred on all continents except Antarctica.
1.2 archaic A mainland contrasted with islands.
- Soon Sasha found herself riding in Hardy's carrier under the strange stars of the island continent.
- The island continent, Atlantis, began to tremble once more with extreme fury.
- Although it was a disaster it brought out some great characteristics of mateship and sacrifice for this little island continent of ours.
Words that rhyme with continentsubcontinent
1Able to control movements of the bowels and bladder.
- We compared the risk of urinary incontinence in the daughters of incontinent women with that in the daughters of continent women.
- This provides a mechanism to influence the two muscle groups to work in concert for continent urine storage and release.
- The patients in the study were losing the ability to dress themselves, bathe, use the toilet, clean themselves, and remain continent.
- Example sentences
- And it was St. Augustine who proclaimed, ‘Give me chastity and continence, but not yet.’
- Self-reports of urinary continence showed no difference between groups.
- A program which establishes continence is a necessary custodial program.
- continently adverb
- Example sentences
- These are the potty training books, in which the heroine gets a new potty, expresses doubts, gives it a whirl, succeeds, buys new big-girl underwear, and lives continently ever after.
- They lived together continently for a year, and Birgitta was especially fervent in her prayers and ascetic devotions.
- In any event, if the conditions I mention about your living continently are met then you should be able to receive absolution and then the Eucharist.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.