Definition of contrariety in English:
1 Logic Contrary opposition.
- Does the sentence express a sort of opposition, either contradiction or contrariety etc.?
- The four that can attain this mark, because they depend solely upon the intrinsic properties of ideas, are resemblance, contrariety, degrees in quality, and proportions in quantity or number.
- There is a choice of contraries without very well settled modes of appropriation: standing for different degrees of contrariety.
2Opposition or inconsistency between two things.
- If environmentalist opposition groups fail to understand that, and their misconceived contrariety prevails to the point where this town loses the chance for this university campus, their credibility will suffer a mortal blow.
- Examples such as this of contrariety within religion can be seen by the years of long debate and argument which have taken place and continue to take place between scholars and theologians alike.
- ‘Without contrariety there is no progression,’ William Blake wrote.
Definition of contrariety in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan