A talk, especially an informal one, between two or more people, in which news and ideas are exchanged: she picked up the phone and held a conversation in French [mass noun]: the two men were deep in conversation
More example sentences
- In conversation we discuss the power of music to get us through those dark nights of the soul.
- We tried to talk to him a few times, but he was not interested in conversation.
- Marriage came up in conversation as I asked him if he would consider getting married.
discussion, talk, chat, gossip, tête-à-tête, heart-to-heart, head-to-head, exchange, dialogue, parley, consultation, conference;
New Zealand korero
Scottish & Northern English informal crack
Australian informal convo
Australian/New Zealand informal yarn
rare palaver, colloquy, converse
- Talk for the sake of politeness without having anything to say: we sat together, trying somewhat stiltedly to make conversationMore example sentences
- Trying to create when you don't feel like it is like making conversation for the sake of making conversation.
- She politely started to make conversation and the trio were laughing within minutes.
- As I wait at the breakfast table, I attempt to make conversation with an elderly couple, but they don't speak English.