Definition of converter in English:
1A person or thing that converts something: the would-be converter of a building to domestic use
More example sentences
- But preaching to the converters is not going to help in the Midwest.
- So the advertising campaigns along with the delivery of the euro converters has been one of the board's greatest successes
- Armed with his euro convertor from the wee hours yesterday morning, no barman was going to pull the wool over his eyes.
1.1A device for altering the nature of an electric current or signal, especially from AC to DC or vice versa, or from analogue to digital or vice versa.
- In such a case, we must amplify the photocurrent to a level that can be converted to a digital signal by an analog-to-digital converter.
- The digital filter output data is converted to a current-mode analog waveform by a digital-to-analog converter.
- What's more, the industry has switched its focus from offering high-end boxes that do everything but cook dinner to more rudimentary, less expensive converters that can deliver digital signals and elementary interactive services.
1.2A retort used in steel-making.
- An assistant swung the converter back into the crucible, leaving the smith free to turn his attention to the liquid steel in the mould.
- The mathematical modeling of the process of a supersonic oxygen jet interaction with the surface of a liquid metal in a steel-making converter was carried out.
1.3 short for catalytic converter.
- Combining the attributes of two complimentary energy converters yields significant mileage and emissions gains, particularly in urban driving.
- The other features to look for in a catalytic converter are heavy gauge construction, proper heat shielding around the converter, and ‘high flow’ design.
- The information contained in the mark includes the converter's precise build time, date, and manufacturing process parameters.
1.4 Computing A program that converts data from one format to another.
- Adding another programmer means you have time to implement more features, optimize and debug code, make file format converters, and other things which get you more customers.
- The gap between HTML and PDF has been bridged by an advanced PDF to HTML converter in recent data visualization software.
- Oh, and if it's got an audio file format converter thrown in too, so much the better.
1.5A camera lens which changes the focal length of another lens by a set amount: a camera fitted with a x2 converter
More example sentences
- The solid, fixed converter lens and/or accessory mount with its small, 28 mm threaded ring creates an immediate link to an idea few other manufacturers have exploited, and none as well as Nikon.
- Most major camera manufacturers produce a range of lens converters to increase the flexibility of the camera's fixed lens.
Definition of converter in:
- US English dictionary