Definition of copy-edit in English:
verb (copy-edits, copy-editing, copy-edited)[with object]
Edit (text to be printed) by checking its consistency and accuracy: the editor goes over the manuscript after it has been copy-edited (as noun copy-editing) experienced freelancer offers copy-editing, typesetting, proofreading, indexing, page make-up
More example sentences
- Whoever copy-edited the manuscript should perhaps be looking for a new career.
- When a book has been handed in, the manuscript is copy-edited, then it's typeset into something called unbound galleys.
- That's no big job, but if you are copy-editing a book and need to make words in boldface hundreds of times each hour, a macro to do this can save you a lot of time.
copy editor noun
- Example sentences
- The more skilled you are as a reporter, photojournalist, copy editor, designer, or producer, the more likely you will step up to the challenges.
- He began his career working summers in northwest Illinois as a reporter and copy editor at the Freeport Journal-Standard.
- Mr. McKee, a copy editor for the Journal, wrote a daily column on the TV coverage during the Summer Olympics.
Definition of copy-edit in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan