Definition of cornea in English:
- The limbus is the thin area that connects the cornea and the sclera, the white part of the eye.
- Organs currently in demand for transplantation include the heart, kidneys, liver, lungs, intestines, and pancreas; tissues include corneas, heart valves, blood vessels, skin, and bone.
- Corneal transplants are performed for people who have damaged or opaque corneas (the outer layer of the eye).
horn from (Old English):
The word horn is related to corn ‘a painful area of thickened skin’, and cornea (Late Middle English) through its ancestor Latin cornu ‘horn’. In to draw (or pull) in your horns, ‘to become less assertive or ambitious’, the image is of a snail drawing in its eyestalks and retreating into its shell when disturbed. See dilemma
- Example sentences
- Unlike eyelid or conjunctival involvement, corneal involvement can result in significant vision loss.
- It is important to identify and remove conjunctival and corneal foreign bodies.
- In the pipeline are many other applications, including vascular, pancreatic, and corneal repair.
Words that rhyme with corneaCalifornia
Definition of cornea in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.