noun (plural cornua /ˈkɔːnjʊə/)Anatomy
1A horn-shaped projection of the thyroid cartilage or of certain bones (such as the hyoid and the coccyx).
- Further, they state that the inferior cornu of the thyroid cartilage is the best guide to the site of entry of the nerve into the larynx.
- The upper horns meet the back of the hyoid bone, while the inferior cornua are attached to the side of the cricoid, forming a pivotal joint.
2Either of the two lateral cavities of the womb, into which the fallopian tubes pass.
- The tumor formed a large fungating mass over the right posterior wall of the uterus, extending from the level of the right cornu to the endocervix, and laterally to the right broad ligament.
- The uterus measured 9.0 cm from fundus to cervix, 6.5 cm from cornu to cornu, and 3.0 cm from anterior to posterior.
- Example sentences
- Left cornual resection was carried out in the present case without immediate or long-term complication.
- The cornual implantation will have endometrium around it, the interstitial one will not.
- Early and accurate diagnosis of cornual ectopic pregnancy is critical, since rupture can cause sudden catastrophic bleeding.
Late 17th century: from Latin, 'horn'.
Definition of cornu in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.