- 1 Astronomy Relating to the corona of the sun or another star: coronal holes are a source of geomagnetic activityMore example sentences
- It has long been known to the astronomical community that the fast solar wind comes from coronal holes.
- These gaps, located at the Sun's poles, are called coronal holes.
- Areas on the surface of the Sun called coronal holes, where the magnetic field is quite open and highly energetic charged particles stream out and hit the earth's magnetic field and interact with it.
- 3 Anatomy Of or in the coronal plane: coronal imagingMore example sentences
- In that study, the improved accuracy of MRI was interpreted as being related to the ability to image the superior sulcus on thin-section coronal and sagittal images.
- Particularly in tumors of the superior sulcus or the lung base, images in the coronal or sagittal plane can be used to demonstrate the relationship of the tumor within the lung apex to adjacent structures.
- A coronal CT image is the preferred initial procedure.
nounPhonetics Back to top
late Middle English (in sense 2 of the adjective): from Latin coronalis, from corona 'crown'.
Middle English: apparently from Anglo-Norman French, from corune 'crown, wreath' (see crown).