Definition of cosmology in English:
noun (plural cosmologies)[mass noun]
1The science of the origin and development of the universe. Modern cosmology is dominated by the Big Bang theory, which brings together observational astronomy and particle physics.
- Compared to physics and astronomy, cosmology is a young science.
- We have come to realize, through developments in astronomy and cosmology, that we are still quite near the beginning.
- The big bang theory of cosmology asserts that the universe was once a very small and very hot soup of energetic subatomic particles.
1.1 [count noun] An account or theory of the origin of the universe.
- Alternative cosmologies try to account for these perturbations in different ways.
- Many of the physical theories and cosmologies of the Greeks read like rational revisions of the early myths.
- Nonetheless, many powerful lineages managed to retain power through political maneuvers and by maintaining a monopoly on spiritual practices centrally associated in local cosmologies with agriculture and fertility.
- Example sentences
- Likewise, heliocentricity, while accepted by all but a tiny minority of astronomers and cosmologists, still has its detractors.
- Looking for such a signal is a big goal of cosmologists right now.
- But it is being increasingly discussed by other eminent physicists and cosmologists.
Mid 17th century: from French cosmologie or modern Latin cosmologia, from Greek kosmos 'order or world' + -logia 'discourse'.
Words that rhyme with cosmologyanthropology, apology, archaeology (US archeology), astrology, biology, campanology, cardiology, chronology, climatology, craniology, criminology, dermatology, ecology, embryology, entomology, epidemiology, etymology, geology, gynaecology (US gynecology), haematology (US hematology), hagiology, horology, hydrology, iconology, ideology, immunology, iridology, kidology, meteorology, methodology, musicology, mythology, necrology, neurology, numerology, oncology, ontology, ophthalmology, ornithology, parasitology, pathology, pharmacology, phraseology, phrenology, physiology, psychology, radiology, reflexology, scatology, Scientology, seismology, semiology, sociology, symbology, tautology, technology, terminology, theology, topology, toxicology, urology, zoology • eulogy • energy • synergy • apogee • liturgy • lethargy
Definition of cosmology in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.