adjectiveBotany & Zoology
- Ribbed; possessing a costa.More example sentences
- Lateral slopes are weakly costate; the costae are diminished and almost invisible.
- All are radially costate, with costae varying from simple and evenly distributed to variously branched and unevenly spaced.
- Early genera were almost circular to elongate-oval, with smooth or finely costate shells.
early 19th century: from Latin costatus, from costa 'rib'.
More definitions of costateDefinition of costate in:
- The US English dictionary