Definition of coumarin in English:
noun[mass noun] Chemistry
1A vanilla-scented compound found in many plants, formerly used for flavouring food.
- Plants make coumarin from an amino acid, phenylalanine.
- The spectrum of coumarin in uncomplexed DNA is shown as the solid curve.
- In this assay a series of sample mixtures with a fixed protein concentration and increasing coumarin concentrations are injected.
1.1 [count noun] Any derivative of coumarin.
- Because of the presence of coumarins in some clover species, including Trifolium pratense, tests of clotting factors in future trials may be prudent.
- Herbal medications that may increase the risk of bleeding if used concurrently with ginkgo include the following: feverfew, garlic, ginseng, dong quai, red clover, and other natural coumarins.
- And sweet clovers aren't the only greens using coumarins.
Definition of coumarin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.