Definition of count palatine in English:
noun (plural counts palatine)historical
1A feudal lord having royal authority within a region of a kingdom.
- The boundaries of the Palatinate varied with the political and dynastic fortunes of the Counts Palatine.
- After the death of Count Palatine Henry II in 1095, a series of extra-territorial counts palatine began.
- Among the powers stemming from the various prerogatives that came with being Count Palatine was, more often than not, the ‘ius doctorandi’.
1.1A high official of the Holy Roman Empire with royal authority within his domain.
- In 1356 the Counts Palatine were made Electors of the Holy Roman Empire.
- Visit Heidelberg Castle, once the residence of the Counts Palatine of the Holy Roman Empire.
- Hungary and Poland each had a Count Palatine.
Definition of count palatine in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan