Definition of counteract in English:
Act against (something) in order to reduce its force or neutralize it: should we deliberately intervene in the climate system to counteract global warming?
More example sentences
- Unequally spaced white stripes painted across the road leading up to an off-ramp have been used to create an illusion that counteracts motion adaptation and reduces driving speed.
- Dark energy is a mysterious pressure that counteracts gravity, forcing the universe to expand faster than it otherwise would.
- Dynamic Drive is another option, fitted to the car we drove; it counteracts body lean to force the BMW level in corners.
prevent, thwart, frustrate, foil, impede, curb, restrain, forestall, hinder, hamper, baulk, oppose, act against, stall, check, resist, withstand, defeat, put a stop to, bring an end to;
offset, counterbalance, balance, balance out, cancel out, even out, counterpoise, countervail, compensate for, make up for, remedy;
neutralize, nullify, annul, negate, invalidate
- Example sentences
- Moreover, as I mentioned above, there are two kinds of brain contusions, one which occurs in the immediate area of the impact, and the other which occurs on the opposite side as a counteraction.
- Effects are additive, leading to counteraction if opposing ion types are paired.
- And if we will do it, I don't see many reasons why we should continue with counteractions.
- Example sentences
- A company that comes across important details regarding an opponent's corporate plans and strategies, can swiftly take counteractive measures to blunt the edge of the marketing campaign and reduce the impact of the new corporate moves.
- ‘We felt early on that it would have been pretty counteractive to blow up the mystery because the story is in the mystery,’ says Freidrichs from his home office in Columbia, Missouri.
- But there is always the chance to neutralize the power of these dangerous substances by using or wearing counteractive devices.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia