Definition of cover story in English:
1A magazine article that is illustrated or advertised on the front cover.
- A front page cover story or a feature spread in a magazine helps boost exposure, thereby boosting potential sales.
- The article is the cover story of the Washington Post Magazine this week.
- Time magazine devoted its cover story to the subject two weeks ago.
2A fictitious account invented to conceal a person’s identity or reasons for doing something.
- The cover story and the identity documents carried by Tai and his traveling companions were quickly discovered to be false.
- He didn't want that campaign to become public, so he invented a cover story, repeated it under oath, and stuck to it on multiple occasions.
- He felt he had to invent a cover story to go around this, to make it believable.
Definition of cover story in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan