1.1A monk’s hooded, sleeveless habit.
- Anyone who ever did know the man behind the hooded cowl died long ago and in a horrible fashion.
- Then, an army of warriors and men dressed in black cowls came from the direction of Plunder castle and sacked the town.
- It was dressed in the black cowl of a priest.
3 another term for cowling.
- Externally, the most noticeable difference between the 172 and the 175 is the slight hump on the engine cowl behind the propeller.
- In order to ensure a very smooth fuselage line, the windscreen started immediately behind the cowl.
- From the landing gear, a single bracing wire extended into the cowl and was fixed to the motor mount.
- Example sentences
- They all fell silent as a tall older man wearing a black cowled robe stepped down in front of the rows of benches…
- Within its tomb-like confines stood four faceless forms shrouded in the folds of richly woven and cowled black robes.
- Suddenly a cowled man appeared above him, chanting in a strange language.
Old English cugele, cūle, from ecclesiastical Latin cuculla, from Latin cucullus 'hood of a cloak'.
Words that rhyme with cowlafoul, befoul, foul, fowl, growl, howl, jowl, owl, prowl, Rabaul, scowl, yowl
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: cowl
Definition of cowl in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.