Definition of cowslip in English:
1A European primula with clusters of drooping fragrant yellow flowers in spring, growing on dry grassy banks and in pasture.
- Primula veris, family Primulaceae
- Banks of primroses, drifts of bluebells and clusters of cowslips are now found only in secret, out-of-the-way places.
- I know a bank whereon the wild thyme blows, where oxlips and the nodding cowslip grow.
- The P. veris of Linnaeus's time is still to this day known as the cowslip.
2Any of a number of herbaceous plants, in particular:
- ● North American term for marsh marigold ● (also Virginia cowslip) A North American plant with blue flowers (Mertensia virginica, family Boraginaceae).
- A dewdrop fell from the petal of a lone cowslip growing by the garden wall.
- Other partners for pink daffodils include lavender cowslips.
Old English cūslyppe, from cū 'cow' + slipa, slyppe 'slime', i.e. cow slobber or dung.
Words that rhyme with cowslippillowslip
Definition of cowslip in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India