noun (plural coypus)
- A large semiaquatic beaver-like rodent, native to South America. It is kept in captivity for its fur and has become naturalized in many other areas.
More example sentences
- Myocastor coypus, the only member of the family Myocastoridae
- Nutria, called Myocastor coypus, have added to the destruction by devouring wetlands.
- These include the capybara, the agouti, the coypu, the cavy and the chinchilla.
- My guess is it's a coypu - a large South American rodent.
late 18th century: from Araucanian.
More definitions of coypuDefinition of coypu in:
- The US English dictionary