- Each of twelve pairs of nerves which arise directly from the brain, not from the spinal cord, and pass through separate apertures in the skull.More example sentences
- From the brain stem emerge pairs of cranial nerves, analogous to the spinal nerves that innervate the limbs and trunk.
- Occasionally, tumors may develop in the brain, on cranial nerves, or on the spinal cord.
- Cranial nerve palsies of the third, fourth and sixth cranial nerves may occur, affecting extraocular motility.
They are (with conventional Roman numbering) the olfactory (I), optic (II), oculomotor (III), trochlear (IV), trigeminal (V), abducens (VI), facial (VII), vestibulocochlear (VIII), glossopharyngeal (IX), vagus (X), accessory (XI), and hypoglossal (XII) nerves
More definitions of cranial nerveDefinition of cranial nerve in:
- The US English dictionary