- An animal that possesses a skull. Compare with vertebrate.
More example sentences
- Subphylum Craniata, phylum Chordata; used instead of Vertebrata in some classification schemes
- The immediate outgroup of craniates, the Cephalochordata, show strong asymmetry during development.
- Thus, there exist two competing theories about the interrelationships of craniates, i.e., animals with a skull.
- Unfortunately, there are few quantitative data on the relative sizes of major brain divisions in most craniates.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to the craniates.More example sentences
- How can changes in an ancestral ontogeny be reconstructed, since the ancestors of most craniate radiations are extinct?
- The relationships between hagfishes, lampreys, and jawed vertebrates are one of the still-unresolved problems in craniate phylogeny.
- After the publication of the first computer-generated phylogenies of the major craniate groups, the discussion has become quite difficult.
late 19th century: from modern Latin craniatus, from medieval Latin cranium (see cranium).
More definitions of craniateDefinition of craniate in:
- The US English dictionary