- A network of fine cracks in the paint or varnish of a painting.More example sentences
- As the medium extends the integrity of the pigment, he manipulates it to achieve substrata and surfaces that range from a glazed appearance or deepening craquelure to the look of pollen, each seductive in its own right.
- A chapter called ‘How to Look at a Painting’ recommends studying craquelure in order to estimate a painting's period and country of origin.
- The nature of the support will affect the craquelure: that of a canvas painting differs from a work on panel.
early 20th century: French, from craqueler 'to crackle'.
More definitions of craquelureDefinition of craquelure in:
- The US English dictionary