An echinoderm of the class Crinoidea, which comprises the sea lilies and feather stars.
- Commonly, the host is a brachiopod, but it may be a coral, bryozoan colony, crinoid stem, or mollusk.
- The entire fauna is typically shallow-marine, composed of crinoids, brachiopods, corals, and bryozoans.
- Gogia is an eocrinoid, a member of a grouping of early echinoderms that probably included the ancestors of true crinoids and other echinoderm taxa.
Relating to or denoting crinoids.
- Grainy rocks in the upper third contain an abundance of disarticulated crinoid debris.
- Alpha taxonomy must still play a vital role in the crinoid research agenda.
- The fauna is dominated by common fenestrate bryozoans and crinoid ossicles.
- Example sentences
- Lithologically, the most abundant carbonate rock type is an argillaceous, coarse-grained crinoidal packstone, but finer grained packstones, grainstones, calcareous siltstones, and shales are also present.
- The echinoderms appear to be particularly abundant in an interval up to 0.5 m below a 25-30 cm ledge-forming crinoidal grainstone with small micritic bioherms.
- The Haight Creek is primarily composed of dolomitic mudstones and wackestones with abundant chert interbeds and thin, discontinuous crinoidal packstones.
Words that rhyme with crinoidechinoid
Definition of crinoid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.