Definition of criollo in English:
noun (plural criollos)
1A person from Spanish South or Central America, especially one of pure Spanish descent.
- Spaniards were referred to as Peninsulars, while their South-American-born descendants were called criollos (Creoles).
- A criollo in Argentina is a person or a family descended from Spanish ancestry, in other words, no added mixture of non-Spanish blood.
- In the twentieth century, the men's loincloths were made of a bright red cloth obtained from the criollos (Venezuelans of mixed descent).
1.1A horse or other domestic animal of a South or Central American breed.
- Fig 5 shows the relatedness of the seven criollo breeds.
- You'll saddle up on Ecuadorian criollos, Andalucians and thoroughbreds, riding South American-style vaquero sillas - sheepskin padded for long hours in the saddle.
- On this 140-mile journey, you'll visit fishing villages atop South American criollo horses, fuel up on lamb and steak, and gaze at capybaras (the world's largest rodents).
2 (also criollo tree) A cacao tree of a variety producing thin-shelled beans of high quality.
- Older, ‘gran cru’ trees yield finer criollo and trinitario cacao beans, which are more flavorful than the lesser beans.
- Chuaco is the Montrachet of chocolate and still attracts the great chocolatiers of France and Italy, who fight over infinitesimal amounts of the finest criollo cacao in the world.
- The three main varieties of cacao beans used in the production of chocolate are criollo, forastero and trinitario.
Words that rhyme with criollobolo, polo, solo, tombolo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan