noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- The state of a substance when it is at the critical point, i.e. at critical temperature and pressure.More example sentences
- Fractured 0.5 cm thick sections were dehydrated in a graded ethanol series, substituted in 2-methyl - 2-propanol, and lyophilized in the critical state.
- Some materials that have experienced higher stress show significantly reduced frictional strength and a pattern of behaviour inconsistent with critical state concepts.
- Soft-sediment deformation involves complex interactions between discrete fracturing and diffuse bulk strain, described in terms of volume change and shear strain in a critical state mechanics framework.
More definitions of critical stateDefinition of critical state in:
- The US English dictionary