Definition of cross link in English:
A chemical bond between different chains of atoms in a polymer or other complex molecule.
- They studied the effects by assessing free urinary pyridinium cross links in growing rats, age 5-12 weeks.
- The intramolecular hydrogen bond network is not static, but consists of many fluctuating cross links within the template framework.
- Infliximab cross links tumour necrosis factor bound to T cells, thus inactivating or destroying it.
verbBack to top
1 (cross-link) Make or become linked with a cross link: [with object]: adjacent protein chains are cross-linked by quinones [no object]: these substances cross-link without any problem (as adjective cross-linked) cross-linked copolymers of vinyl pyrrolidone with methyl methacrylate
More example sentences
- Some researchers believe that prepolymers - such as unsaturated polyester cross-linked with styrene or epoxies - achieve better results.
- These fibres are surrounded by a matrix of disorderly keratin-like proteins cross-linked by sulphur atoms, like steel cables embedded in concrete.
- In 1839, Charles Goodyear produced the first significant development when he created a process for making cross-linked, or vulcanized, rubber.
1.1 [with object] Connect (something) by a series of transverse links: cross-link the guidance system with the actual games programme
More example sentences
- The most prominent feature of this suitably archaic-looking site is a huge interactive timeline that lists and cross-links people, events and places.
- He has the role of reviewing and cross-linking the results of the work of the others.
- Purchasing and setting up multiple domains can be a great way to increase your visibility on the Web and if you cross-link your domains, you can improve your link popularity for each site.
- 1cross-linkage noun
- Example sentences
- These processes can break chemical bonds, produce highly reactive free radicals, and produce new chemical bonds and cross-linkage between macromolecules.
- The gelatin is hardened during manufacture by cross-linkage of the polypeptides.
- Collagen synthesis and cross-linkage is responsible for vascular integrity and strength of new capillary beds.
Definition of cross link in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.