Definition of cross link in English:
A chemical bond between different chains of atoms in a polymer or other complex molecule.
- They studied the effects by assessing free urinary pyridinium cross links in growing rats, age 5-12 weeks.
- The intramolecular hydrogen bond network is not static, but consists of many fluctuating cross links within the template framework.
- Infliximab cross links tumour necrosis factor bound to T cells, thus inactivating or destroying it.
verbBack to top
1 (cross-link) Make or become linked with a cross link: [with object]: adjacent protein chains are cross-linked by quinones [no object]: these substances cross-link without any problem (as adjective cross-linked) cross-linked copolymers of vinyl pyrrolidone with methyl methacrylate
More example sentences
- Some researchers believe that prepolymers - such as unsaturated polyester cross-linked with styrene or epoxies - achieve better results.
- These fibres are surrounded by a matrix of disorderly keratin-like proteins cross-linked by sulphur atoms, like steel cables embedded in concrete.
- In 1839, Charles Goodyear produced the first significant development when he created a process for making cross-linked, or vulcanized, rubber.
1.1 [with object] Connect (something) by a series of transverse links: cross-link the guidance system with the actual games programme
More example sentences
- The most prominent feature of this suitably archaic-looking site is a huge interactive timeline that lists and cross-links people, events and places.
- He has the role of reviewing and cross-linking the results of the work of the others.
- Purchasing and setting up multiple domains can be a great way to increase your visibility on the Web and if you cross-link your domains, you can improve your link popularity for each site.
- Example sentences
- These processes can break chemical bonds, produce highly reactive free radicals, and produce new chemical bonds and cross-linkage between macromolecules.
- The gelatin is hardened during manufacture by cross-linkage of the polypeptides.
- Collagen synthesis and cross-linkage is responsible for vascular integrity and strength of new capillary beds.
Definition of cross link in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan