1A large spiky starfish of the tropical Indo-Pacific, feeding on coral and sometimes causing great damage to reefs.
- Acanthaster planci, class Asteroidea.
- It looks an impossible job when a soft-bellied gastropod like the triton tries to demolish a spiky crown of thorns starfish.
- The crown of thorns starfish, one of the largest of the sea star group, measures approximately 45 cm across its seven to seventeen arms.
- They could have chosen the ugly and destructive crown of thorns starfish instead.
2A Madagascan shrub of the spurge family, with bright red flowers and many slender thorns. It is a popular houseplant and is sometimes used for hedging in the tropics. Also called Christ's thorn.
- Euphorbia milii, family Euphorbiaceae.
- Hat rack cactii and pencil bush are both euphorbias, as is crown of thorns, so I'd consult a doctor about those, too.
2.1Any of a number of thorny plants, especially Christ’s thorn (Ziziphus spina-christi).
- The evergreen holly was worshiped as a promise of the sun's return, and some say that Christ's crown of thorns was made of holly.
- Some believers think the crown of thorns was made of this type of tumbleweed.
- In medieval times it was the belief that Jesus crown of thorns was blackberry brambles.
By association with Christ's crown of thorns.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: crown of thorns
Definition of crown of thorns in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.