Definition of crutch in English:
1A long stick with a crosspiece at the top, used as a support under the armpit by a lame person.
- It's difficult to understand why so many crutches, white sticks and wheelchairs remain unclaimed.
- The workers here carry walking sticks, use crutches, or get around in wheelchairs.
- There were people in wheel chairs, people with walking sticks and crutches and people with guide dogs.
1.1 [in singular] A thing used for support or reassurance: they use the Internet as a crutch for their loneliness
More example sentences
- I look at my spiritual practice as a way to engage and learn from life, not simply a crutch to help make it through.
- I see anti-depressants as a crutch which will help me to get better, not the thing that will make me better.
- You touch on it briefly in your post but I think it is important to take note that there is a difference between protecting yourself and creating a crutch to avoid dealing with difficulties.
Definition of crutch in:
- US English dictionary