1An apparatus for maintaining a very low temperature.
- Temperature was controlled by a gold-chromel thermocouple at the base of the cryostat and monitored with an identical thermocouple immersed directly in the sample (approximately 3 mm above the illuminated volume) during measurement.
- The sample was then mounted in a cryostat and cooled down rapidly.
- The spectrometer was modified to incorporate an Oxford cryostat at the sample compartment.
2A cold chamber in which frozen tissue is divided with a microtome: [as modifier]: cryostat sections about 5μm thick
More example sentences
- Heads and bodies of wild-type flies were cut into 12-m sections using a cryostat and hybridized with the relevant probe.
- A post-doc was working on a cryostat, cutting microscopically thin sections of tissue.
- Smooth muscle area was determined in 8-m-thick cryostat lung sections.
Definition of cryostat in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.