noun[mass noun] Medicine
Infestation with a yeast-like fungus, resulting in tumours in the lungs and sometimes spreading to the brain. It occurs chiefly in the United States. Also called torulosis.
- Other fungal infections to consider include cryptococcosis, blastomycosis, histoplasmosis, coccidioidomycosis and sporotrichosis.
- A similar phenomenon is seen with other infections, such as leprosy, leishmaniasis, and fungal diseases including cryptococcosis and sporotrichosis.
- No acid-fast staining was seen in cases of cryptococcosis or candidiasis.
- Example sentences
- Rarer conditions include aspergillosis (a serious lung infection) and cryptococcal meningitis (infection causing swelling in the brain, which can be life threatening).
- Pathological examination of the brain in cryptococcal meningitis typically shows mucinous exudates covering the superolateral aspect of the brain, unlike the basal exudates of tuberculous arachnoiditis.
- The patient's condition deteriorated; he had periods of altered mental status, went into a coma, and died on day 17 of his admission because of cryptococcal meningitis and fungemia.
Definition of cryptococcosis in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.