Definition of cryptozoology in English:
The search for and study of animals whose existence or survival is disputed or unsubstantiated, such as the Loch Ness monster and the yeti.
- A study of cryptozoology gave me nightmares for weeks when I was younger.
- It has a track record of exposing frauds, gives space to sceptical views, and sparks debate about controversial subjects - such as ‘Is cryptozoology a science?’
- It features stories on such topics as anomalous astronomical phenomena, anomalies in the physical sciences, scientific hoaxes and cryptozoology.
- Example sentences
- We passed through the Grand Arch, a majestic limestone-cavern entrance-way into a hidden valley, and surveyed the spectacular grotto called Devil's Coachhouse, continuing our cryptozoological pursuit.
- This influence, as well as a slightly warped sense of humor, manifest themselves in her strange cryptozoological creations and each peculiar artifact she creates.
- It's a common cryptozoological trope and hope; that as humankind devours the environment, more large, unknown animals will appear.
- Example sentences
- This creature has been a constant conundrum to cryptozoologists (scientists who study animals that may or may not be real) in North and South America for over 50 years.
- Since cryptozoologists spend most of their energy trying to establish the existence of creatures, rather than examining actual animals, they are more akin to psi researchers than to zoologists.
- This caused great excitement among cryptozoologists and UFOlogists, only to be deflated when a short time later the university announced that the remains were that of a dog.
Definition of cryptozoology in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia