Definition of currant in English:
1A small dried fruit made from a small seedless variety of grape originally grown in the eastern Mediterranean region and much used in cookery: [as modifier]: a currant bun
More example sentences
- The domesticated grapevine provides fresh fruit, dried raisins, sultanas and currants (according to the vine variety), wine, vinegar, grape juice, and a light salad oil obtained by crushing the pips.
- Aim for several small meals with suitable snacks such as mini savoury sandwiches, a currant bun, fruit or vegetables or unsweetened breakfast cereal in between meals to meet your child's nutritional needs.
- The truly delectable dessert is prepared with currants (small seedless raisin) that are grown in Europe, the US and Chile and is said to be rich in vitamin C and minerals.
2A Eurasian shrub which produces small edible black, red, or white berries.
- Genus Ribes, family Grossulariaceae: several species, including blackcurrant and redcurrant
- Some currants are host to the White pine blister rust, and should not be planted near white pines.
- Screens made from bamboo and birch branches as well as plantings (golden currant, white abutilon, and New Zealand flax) create privacy.
- Along the walls and raised beds I planted ferns, vine maple, Indian plum, ocean spray, snowberry, currants, and other low-maintenance shrubs.
2.1A berry from a currant shrub.
- Peaches, pears, cherries, plums, grapes, currants, and raspberries were also commonly grown.
- The field day will focus on grapes, although growing raspberries, currants, blackberries, plums, cherries, and Asian and European pears also will be discussed.
- Cabbage and carrot are also among the most important vegetable crops, while apples, pears, currants, strawberries and raspberries are the popular fruit crops.
Words that rhyme with currantblackcurrant, concurrent, current, occurrent, redcurrant
Definition of currant in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan