Definition of curvature in English:
1The fact of being curved or the degree to which something is curved: spinal curvature the curvature of the earth
More example sentences
- So are you ready to be bedazzled by the Barcelona curves and curvatures?
- The curvatures of the electronically controlled seats and backs can be individually adjusted.
- It is the most graceful of birds in flight and its body curvatures and wing span excite all who witness it.
1.1 Geometry The degree to which a curve deviates from a straight line, or a curved surface deviates from a plane.
- This illustrates around the periphery the effects of vignetting - loss of brightness and focus - and curvature of straight lines, typical of camera obscura images generally.
- In fact the work was of such quality that Weingarten received a prize for work on the lines of curvature of a surface in 1857.
- Joachimsthal surfaces are named after him, these have a family of plane lines of curvature within the plane of a pencil.
1.2A numerical quantity expressing curvature.
- A deeper characterization of a helix is that it is the unique curve in 3-space for which the ratio of curvature to torsion is a constant, a result known as Lancret's Theorem.
- Therefore, origami models have constant zero Gauss curvature at each interior vertex.
- Among other results, he classified simply connected Riemannian 3-manifolds of constant curvature in this thesis.
Definition of curvature in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia