Definition of custard pie in English:
1An open pie containing cold set custard.
- Whenever approaching a pumpkin pie, keep in the back of your mind that you are, in essence, making a custard pie.
- I settled into one of the leather banquettes for a leisurely tea service, including scones and a slice of custard pie served by white-jacketed waiters.
- The use of custard-filled ‘pies’ or tarts was memorably extended in the 1920s, when the throwing of custard pies into the faces of characters in silent films became a standard Hollywood procedure.
1.1A custard pie, or a flat container of foam, used for throwing in someone’s face in slapstick comedy: staff raised about £70 by putting members of the management team in the stocks and pelting them with custard pies [as modifier]: Charlie Chaplin won enormous popularity with his custard-pie comedies
More example sentences
- The film's final scene, a post-apocalyptic custard-pie battle in the presidential bunker, was deleted before it went on general release.
- Borkowski, who staged the biggest custard-pie fight ever in the Millennium Dome (3,312 pies in two minutes), has set himself a challenge on a par with making a romance about estate agents.
- I'm obliged to say that, in case the clown mobsters order a custard-pie hit.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.