noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- A waxy water-repellent substance in the cuticle of plants, consisting of highly polymerized esters of fatty acids.More example sentences
- They oxidize diverse substrates such as membrane sterols, lignin, and cutin as well as hormones.
- The cuticle of terrestrial vascular plants and some bryophytes consists mainly of two hydrophobic components, the biopolymer cutin and a mixture of lipids, which are usually called ‘waxes’.
- Cell walls resistant to acid digestion were considered to contain cutin.
More definitions of cutinDefinition of cutin in:
- The US English dictionary