- 1A salt or ester of hydrocyanic acid, containing the anion CN− or the group —CN. The salts are generally extremely toxic. Compare with nitrile.More example sentences
- Both cyanides and nitriles have the general formula RCN with a triple bond between the carbon and nitrogen (R-CN).
- The few exceptions to this definition are the oxides of carbon, the carbonates, the cyanides (compounds of carbon, nitrogen, and at least one more element), and a few other families of compounds.
- The case hardening medium is a molten, nitrogen-bearing, fused-salt bath containing either cyanides or cyanates.
- 1.1 [mass noun] Sodium or potassium cyanide used as a poison or in the extraction of gold and silver.More example sentences
- How are you applying this technique to something which has been so much in the news recently and that is the question of cyanide used for the extraction of gold?
- While he was recovering in hospital, someone somehow poisoned him with cyanide.
- The committee was also worried that the gold will be extracted using cyanide which would cause irreparable damage to the East Rhodope Mountains.
More definitions of cyanideDefinition of cyanide in:
- The US English dictionary