1A division of microorganisms that are related to the bacteria but are capable of photosynthesis. They are prokaryotic and represent the earliest known form of life on the earth.
- Division Cyanobacteria, kingdom Monera
- That is, all Cyanobacteria and algal chloroplasts are, together, all of the descendants of some unique common ancestral cyanobacterium.
- Only Aquificales and Cyanobacteria do not present evidence of such a structuring, possibly because of a sampling effect, since only a few bacteria of these phyla have been presently sequenced.
- The significant buildup probably began about two billion years ago, with the appearance of Cyanobacteria.
1.1 (cyanobacteria) Microorganisms of the Cyanobacteria division; blue-green algae: cultures of algae and cyanobacteria
More example sentences
- Unlike any other flagellate algae, they contain phycobilins as accessory photosynthetic pigments, as do red algae and cyanobacteria.
- We conclude that there is no evidence available to support assignment of Halysis either to chlorophyte algae or to cyanobacteria.
- In Florida scrub, soil crusts include algae, cyanobacteria, and diatoms.
- Example sentences
- Although providing valuable information on the relationship between structure and function, engineering cyanobacterial and algal Rubiscos has so far failed to produce an enzyme even ‘as good’ as those already found in crop plants.
- The reversible mononer - dimer organization of PSII in the photoinhibition repair cycle has been more straightforward to assess in studies of cyanobacterial thylakoid membranes without any lateral heterogeneity.
- For the cyanobacterial sectors, reactivation occurred only after rain although apparently higher WC maintained NP for longer in these sectors.
Definition of Cyanobacteria in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.